The City of Gresham has an exciting opportunity for a demonstrated code professional to join our Building Division group as an Electrical Inspector (Building Inspector II classification) within the Community Development Department. Strong candidates will have demonstrated knowledge of the applicable codes and exceptional interpersonal communication skills to effectively work with citizens, contractors and coworkers. Based on forecasted workload and dependent upon candidate qualifications, the City may hire up to two positions for this recruitment.
Gresham, the fourth largest city in the state of Oregon, is located near Portland, Mount Hood, and the scenic Columbia River Gorge. Our City boasts a proud, diverse and growing population. This position plays a prominent role in promoting the City's organizational value of public service through its interaction with the public concerning technical issues.
In this role, you will become part of a collaborate team of building inspectors and plan examiners, while maintaining the ability to work independently on a daily basis. The Building Division provides a consistent work schedule of Monday-Friday.
The City of Gresham offers a robust benefit package that includes several options of medical/vision and dental plans, with minimal employee premium contribution. The City participates in the Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and pays for the full contribution. This position is represented by the Teamster's Local 223. Employees earn paid time off and sick leave monthly, in addition to paid holidays throughout the calendar year.
The Electrical Inspector performs independent work providing strong knowledge and abilities around commercial and residential inspection. This position ensures compliance with codes, city ordinances and other regulations. The Community Development Department fosters an environment of collaboration and teamwork dedicated to public service.
The duties of this position may include but are not limited to:
- Primarily inspects new and existing residential, commercial, and industrial structures for compliance with Oregon Electrical Specialty Code, other applicable construction and safety codes, and related City ordinances and regulations.
- Assists contractors, builders, architects, and the general public by phone and in person with questions concerning the application and interpretation of the codes and related procedures.
- Performs residential, commercial and industrial building plan review to assure conformance with the Oregon Electrical Specialty Code and other applicable codes and standards.
- Performs in a similar manner for other disciplines based on level and type of additional certifications.
Strong candidates shall have experience in residential, commercial and industrial construction. The incumbent must also possess exceptional interpersonal, written, computer and oral communication skills along with demonstrated skills of working proactively and collaboratively with stakeholders to ensure compliance with applicable code provisions. Must also have independent decision-making skills to resolve complaints and provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities to perform in this position would be:
- Two or more years of college coursework in a Building Inspection Technology program or trade/technical coursework.
- Four years or more work experience in one or more areas of building construction.
- Oregon Supervising Electrician License OR ICC or IAEI certified in residential and commercial electrical inspections OR State of Oregon Commercial and Residential Electrical Certifications.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Selection Process
Required application materials include a complete online city application and answers to the supplemental questions.
If you wish modification of this process in order to accommodate a disability, please make your request in writing at time of application, verbally to Human Resources at 503-618-2729, or in person.
The City of Gresham provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with state law. Any candidate wishing to have their qualifying veteran's preference applied to the process must submit a qualifying document (DD Form 214 or 215) at the time of application providing proof of eligibility that includes discharge status. Disabled veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran's disability preference letter from the US Department of Veteran Affairs at the time of application, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214 or 215.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, physical, drug screen, and review of previous three years of official DMV driving records.
If you have questions about this opportunity, please contact Human Resources at 503-618-2729.
For assistance with the online application system, contact NEOGOV directly at 1-855-524-5627.
Electrical InspectorCity of Gresham - City HallJob Description